programme of resources 2012
1 September - 4 October 2012
Sustainable energy in creation
- Time for prayer and action
Energy is a gift from God as part of his creation but one we hardly notice... until there's a power cut! But one in five people in the world has no access at all to electricity and two in five rely on burning anything from wood to animal excrement for cooking and heating.
2012 is the UN Year of Sustainable Energy for All, with a target of giving the whole world reliable, clean energy by 2030. This is not just a subject for the developing world. Here we need to make radical changes to move away from electricity generated by climate-change causing and increasingly expensive fossil fuels to renewable options, together with greater efficiency and lower consumption.
As Christians we need to be aware of the issues and know what we can do as individuals and as churches both to care for the planet and to care for the poor who lack energy. This is why CTBI has made Sustainable Energy its theme for the 2012 Creation Time season, and we hope you will make use of our materials in churches and groups and as individuals.
The 2012 resources available for free download, include:
- Sermon notes based on the Lectionary readings for the 5 Sundays
- Prayers of intercession / bidding prayers for Sunday liturgy
- Discussion group resource
- Background information on sustainable energy
- Publicity items: Advertising flier and church newsletter article
- A range of other liturgical material and links to other resources
Some of the items are also available in Welsh and Irish.